Ridge Gourd – 1 medium
Thoor Dal – 1/4 cup
Green Chillies – 2 or 3
Ridge Gourd Kootu
1. Wash and cut Ridge Gourd into small pieces. (the skin is usually made into chutney which will be in a different post)
2. Wash the Dal and add the ridge gourd pieces.
3. Add upto an inch of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
4. Make a seasoning of mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies and pour on top of the Dal mixture.
5. Mix thoroughly with salt and it is ready to serve with roti/rice.
You can optionally grind green chillies and 1 tablespoon of coconut ,add to the cooked and then make the seasoning and allow it to boil for few minutes till the raw smell of the paste leaves.
You can optionally grind green chillies and 1 tablespoon of coconut and 1 teaspoon of cashews , add to the cooked Dal and then make the seasoning and allow it to boil for few minutes till the raw smell of the paste leaves.
If I know that I will be using the dal for rotis only, then while pressure cooking, I add a medium size tomato and then do any of the of the above. The tomato flavoured goes best with rotis.
I am sending this entry to Lentils Mela hosted in Ashwini’s Spicy Cuisine.