I always love the slight bitterish taste of methi. It goes very well in sambhar with red onions and also this pulao. I had two small bundles of methi in my refrigerator and was contemplating on what to cook for today. Finally I settled down with this pulao with brown rice for the lunch box and it tasted great with simple cucumber raita.
1. Methi – 1 medium bundle
2. Brown Basmati Rice – 1 cup
3. Green Chillies – 3 or 4
4. Red Onion – 1 medium or 2 small
5. Garam Masala – 1 tsp
6. Bay leaves, cloves, black pepper, mustard, oil , ghee , fenugreek seeds – for seasoning.
1. Clean and wash the methi leaves.
2. Cut onion into thin slices and slit the green chillies.
3. Season with litltle oil and ghee, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, bay leaves, cloves, black pepper.
4. Fry onion and green chillies. When the onions are translucent add, the methi leaves.
5. Fry for few minutes, then add , the washed rice.
6. Sprinkle Garam Masala and mix well.
7. Fry for couple of minutes till the grease coats all the rice.
8. Transfer to a electric cooker and add the required water for the rice.
9. Hot pulao is ready to be eaten in few minutes.
1. Substitute with White Basmati Rice in case you don’t want to use Brown Basmati.
2. I use 31/5 cups and 21/5 cups of water for Brown and White Basmati respectively.